• Announcements

• Admin

Winter vaccinations!   11/03/2016

It is very important for people with chronic diseases, such as SLE,and for those people taking corticosteroids and immunosuppressants, including chemotherapy drugs, should go to their doctor to be immunised against flu. Flu is not a bad cold! It can be dangerous. Apart from the annual flu jab, ask your doctor about the pneumovax vaccine which will help prevent serious problems with the lungs. Those with asthma should also ask about the various kinds of vaccines available. Finally, Herpes Zoster infections can lead to the risk of strokes in certain populations which include, rheumatoid arthritis and SLE. There is a new post with information, along with a video. Be well! Ros
    • Admin

Blogs!   03/27/2017

All registered Members can write their own Blog here! Just click on Blog and select a title!
    • Admin

Registration and Validation   06/03/2017

Thank you for your Registration! Validation is not automatic and will depend on time zone differences!It ought to be no more than 24 hours. If you do not hear within 24 hours, send me a message using the Contact Us! This is to try and prevent spammers, bots etc! When you Sign Up,  Please use the following to complete the Date of Birth entry: nn-nn-nnnn where n=number. Thus, if your birthday is 5th May 1968, enter: 05-05-1968. Use the “-“ separator and not the “/“. Thank you and hope the LuPUS MB is useful to you!  
    • Admin

GHIC   09/08/2017

I am excited to announce that LUpus Patients Understanding & Support (LUPUS) is linking with The Graham Hughes International Charity (GHIC). This means I will be posting articles from Professor Hughes here. About 25% of those with SLE also have Hughes Syndrome. As more research is being done, its findings are extremely important for those who have this condition. Like SLE, diagnosis can take a very long time.

Selena Gomez reveals kidney transplant, best friend was donor

Francia Raisa and Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez has revealed that she had a kidney transplant operation this summer linked to her lupus.

In an Instagram post, the singer says that her friend Francia Raisa donated an organ to her and says she wanted to explain why fans hadn't heard much from her despite having new music out.

"So I found out I needed to get a kidney transplant due to my Lupus and was recovering," she writes.

"It was what I needed to do for my overall health."

Selena Gomez
Image captionSelena Gomez has also posted photos of her scar from the kidney transplant operation
Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez also thanked her friend, The Secret Life of the American Teenager actress Francia Raisa, in her Instagram post.

"There aren't words to describe how I can possibly thank my beautiful friend Francia Raisa," she writes.

"She gave me the ultimate gift and sacrifice by donating her kidney to me. I am incredibly blessed. I love you so much sis."

Erica Greve, Selena Gomez and Francia Raisa
Image captionSelena Gomez helped her friend Francia Raisa out in 2014 at the Annual Unlikely Heroes awards in LA, which she was hosting

Selena Gomez released the first single from her new untitled album, It Ain't Me featuring Kygo, in March.

Since then Bad Liar and Fetish have come out but she hasn't been out promoting the tracks because of her operation.

Her first public appearance after recovering from the surgery was in New York with boyfriend The Weeknd last Friday night.

The Weeknd and Selena Gomez

She also took time off social media last year to deal with panic attacks, anxiety and depression.

The 25-year-old says her ongoing mental health problems are a side-effect of her lupus diagnosis last year.

Selena Gomez
Image captionSelena Gomez appeared in Radio 1's Live Lounge in 2015 to promote her album, Revival

Lupus affects the body's immune system.

The symptoms of the disease include extreme tiredness, rashes (especially on the face, wrists and hands), joint pain and swelling.

In her post, she says not enough is known about the condition.

"Lupus continues to be very misunderstood but progress is being made."

Find us on Instagram at BBCNewsbeat and follow us on Snapchat, search for bbc_newsbeat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41268256/selena-gomez-reveals-kidney-transplant-best-friend-was-donor