NEW Coronavirus Forum! Stay safe by staying at home! Be well! ×
GET YOUR FLU VACCINE!

Women With Autoimmune Rheumatic Diseases: Considerations Before, Durin

• Admin

Women With Autoimmune Rheumatic Diseases: Considerations Before, During, and After Pregnancy

Listen and learn from experts in SLE: slides and information.

This presentation is meant for doctors, but gives very good information and advice from experts.

http://www.peervoice.com/women-autoimmune-rheumatic-diseases-considerations-during-and-after-pregnancy?person_id=2029011#featured-presentations

Presentation 1

Marta Mosca, MD, PhD

Rheumatology Unit
University of Pisa
Pisa, Italy

Presentation 2

Munther Khamashta, MD, PhD, FRCP

Graham Hughes Lupus Research Unit Laboratory
The Rayne Institute
St Thomas’ Hospital
London, United Kingdom

Presentation 3

Caroline Gordon , MA, MD, FRCP

Rheumatology Research Group
University of Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Munther Khamashta, MD, PhD, FRCP

Graham Hughes Lupus Research Unit Laboratory
The Rayne Institute
St Thomas’ Hospital
London, United Kingdom

Marta Mosca, MD, PhD

Rheumatology Unit
University of Pisa
Pisa, Italy

While counselling is mentioned, this is in relation to medical and not psychological aspects. Please contact me for information regarding psychological counselling.

Dr. Khamashta: Many of my patients say to me, “Doctor, I have lupus. Does that mean my daughter will have lupus or my son will have lupus?”; “I have rheumatoid arthritis. Does that mean my children will have the disease?” And this is also an important part of the counseling. There is no doubt that there is a genetic component, and we tell our patients with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis that there is perhaps a 3% to 5% chance that their children will have the disease. Most patients accept that small risk.

I wish I had known that I had Lupus when I was expecting my children, as I had some very bazaar symptoms. But what I do know is, that when I was pregnant that was when I felt my best.

Head not functioning well at the moment. Hope it makes sense.

• Admin

Dear Lizzy,

Many lupus patients report that during pregnancy their lupus seemed to go into remission but flared following child birth.

Your post does make sense, but you sound quite poorly and I am concerned about you, so please look after yourself.

Be well!

Ros